Home Chapter Home Jobs Conferences Fellowships Books
Heterotopia / choristoma
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 26 October 2013, last major update December 2006
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- See also Lipochoristoma
- WHO classification includes salivary gland choristoma and glial choristoma
- Heterotopia: mass of tissue normal to the site in abnormal location
- Choristoma: mass of tissue foreign to the site
- Hamartoma: mass of tissue normal to site in haphazard arrangement
- Middle ear choristomas include salivary gland tissue and neuroglial tissue
- Salivary gland choristomas usually occur in women, associated with facial nerve and ossicle anomalies, suggesting a second branchial arch developmental anomaly; have mucinous and serous elements similar to submandibular and sublingual glands
- Neuroglial choristomas are often actually an acquired encephalocele with herniation of brain into middle ear and mastoid; treatment is surgical, although tissue may adhere to facial nerve; determine relationship to CNS structures at operation or radiographically, not by histology (Laryngoscope 2000;110:1731, Ann Diagn Pathol 2004;8:252)
- Cartilaginous choristoma of external ear canal: may be relatively common (Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;133:786)
Mass-like lesion with soft tissue density occupying the middle ear
Mature disorganized glial tissue and fibrovascular elements
End of Ear > Congenital anomalies > Heterotopia / choristoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.comwith any questions (click here for other contact information).