Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Treatment | Gross description | Microscopic (histologic) description | Differential diagnosis
Cite this page: Pernick N. Keloid. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/earkeloid.html. Accessed October 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Greek for "crab claw"
- Exaggerated, nonneoplastic scarring response to trauma (eMedicine: Keloids [Accessed 7 January 2019])
- Common in young black women after ear piercing
- 10 year old child with meatoplasty keloid (J Laryngol Otol 2006;120:594)
- Polypoid, covered by thin, hairless skin
- Usually < 2 cm
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Haphazard fascicles of dense, hyalinized collagen that appear edematous due to dermal mucosubstances
- Scattered fibroblasts and myofibroblasts
- Blends with adjacent dermal tissue
- Overlying epithelium is thin and lacks adnexae
- Widely scattered dilated blood vessels