Graft versus host disease (GVHD)
Reviewer: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 June 2013, last major update October 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Desquamative esophagitis with web formation
- Increased intraepithelial lymphocytes, dyskeratotic squamous cells and apoptosis of individual squamous cells in non-inflamed background is diagnostic
- Also have increased submucosal fibrosis associated with mucosal esophagitis and ulceration (Gastroenterology 1981;80:914)
- May be disparity between severity of clinical disease and biopsy findings
- Findings may be focal, may need serial sections
Apoptotic squamous cells
With lymphocytic infiltrate
- Scleroderma: fibrosis, but no apoptotic squamous cells, different clinical history
End of Esophagus > Esophagitis > Graft versus host disease (GVHD)
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected]
with any questions (click here for other