Reviewer: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 13 May 2013, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- For suspected tumor, 5-6 biopsies recommended, including edge of ulcers, base of ulcer and other non-necrotic areas
- Cytology samples may pick up additional cancers missed by biopsies
- Limit a cassette to 3-4 biopsy fragments so they will be properly embedded
- Recommend embedding on edge and cutting perpendicular to mucosa, although difficult to do with small biopsies
- Immediate fixation is particularly important for lymphoid lesions
- Common stains are Alcian Blue pH 2.5 (detects acidic mucin), mucicarmine (detects acidic mucin), PAS with and without diastase (detects acidic and neutral mucin)
End of Esophagus > General > Biopsy
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other