Cite this page: Weisenberg, E. Fistula (acquired). PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/esophagusfistulaacquired.html. Accessed January 21st, 2018.
Definition / general
- Aortoesophageal fistulas are usually due to thoracic aortic aneurysm, foreign body ingestion or esophageal malignancy
- 35 year old HIV+ man with Candida and CMV infections and tracheoesophageal fistula (Chest 1994;106:284)
- 44 year old man with tracheoesophageal fistula presumably due to tuberculosis (J Postgrad Med 1994;40:83)
- 60 year old man with aortoesophageal fistula due to a penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer (J Cardiothorac Surg 2007;2:12)
- 71 year old woman with nasogastric tube and aortic esophageal fistula (Hum Pathol 1989;20:709)