Aphakic bullous keratopathy
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 6 October 2013, last major update February 2011
Copyright: (c) 2004-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Secondary endothelial compensation, often after cataract extraction (with or without an intraocular lens)
- Resembles Fuchs dystrophy
- Causes severe visual loss and astigmatism
- Corneal edema with bullae between corneal epithelium and Bowmanís layer
- Late changes are replacement of bullous cavity with fibrous tissue
- No/attenuated endothelium
End of Eye > Cornea > Aphakic bullous keratopathy
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected]
with any questions (click here for other