Cite this page: Pernick, N. Eyelid: melanoma of eyelid. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeeyelidmelanoma.html. Accessed September 20th, 2018.
Definition / general
- May originate from nevus, acquired melanosis or de novo
- Poor prognosis due to early metastasis via lymphatics or bloodstream
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy has been used for melanoma of eyelid
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Resembles skin tumors more than globe tumors
- Spindled or epithelioid cells with marked atypia and invasion into dermis