Cite this page: Pernick N. Lacrimal duct: mucocele of lacrimal sac. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyelacrimalmucocele.html. Accessed May 27th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Complication of chronic inflammation of lacrimal sac, with distention of sac due to low grade obstructive lesion or hypersecreting mucosa
- Cyst contents may be clear, milky, gelatinous, fibrinous or flocculent
- May be sterile or infected
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Cyst wall is atrophic with degenerative changes
- Also hyperplasia and chronic inflammatory infiltrate