Cite this page: Pernick N. Orbit and optic nerve: papilledema - optic nerve. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeorbitpapilledema.html. Accessed October 22nd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Edema of head of optic nerve, usually bilateral
- Due to nerve compression from elevation of cerebrospinal fluid pressure surrounding the nerve
- Fundoscopic examination shows swollen optic nerve head with elevation, edema and narrowing of optic cup
- Also vascular congestion, flame shaped hemorrhage, exudates, retinal edema
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Edematous axons in edematous stroma with vascular congestion