Cite this page: Pernick N. Retina: astrocytic tumor of retina. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeretinaastrocytictumor.html. Accessed May 26th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Associated with tuberous sclerosis (57%), neurofibromatosis (14%), or no syndrome (29%)
- Tuberous sclerosis patients usually have multiple, peripheral retinal tumors with giant astrocytes vs. disc based tumors in non tuberous sclerosis patients
- Usually benign and extremely rare in retina
- References: Arch Pathol Lab Med 1984;108:160
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Interlacing, spindle shaped astrocytes