Cite this page: Pernick, N. Retina: cystic macular edema of retina. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeretinacysticmacularedema.html. Accessed August 18th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Often after cataract extraction or other surgical procedures
- Due to diabetic retinopathy, retinal venous occlusion or other retinal vascular disease, ocular inflammation, drugs, tumor
- Xray: stellate pattern on fluorescein angiography
- Fundoscopy: honeycomb appearance due to fluid filled cavities
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Exudative fluid in outer plexiform layer is amorphous and eosinophilic or appears as blank spaces