Cite this page: Pernick N. Retina: visceral larva migrans of retina. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeretinaviscerallarvamigrans.html. Accessed June 1st, 2020.
Definition / general
- A type of nematodiasis (parasitic disease)
- Somewhat common in US and Great Britain
- Usually produced by Toxocara canis in children ages 3 - 14 years without systemic disease
- Single migrating larva enters eye hematogenously and rests in vitreous or inner surface of retina with accompanying acute and chronic inflammatory cells and intense eosinophilia
- Late changes are scarring, retinal detachment and leukokoria, simulating retinoblastoma
- Dead larvae may cause minute granulomas, found with serial sectioning