Author: Jessica Wallace (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 23 October 2011, last major update October 2011
Copyright: (c) 2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
Procedure for staining slides
Keep all stains and solutions fresh and well maintained
Dip slide in reagents in this order for H&E staining:
● After obtaining frozen section, IMMEDIATELY fix in 95% ethanol (even 15 seconds of delay can cause significant artifact)
● Formal Alcohol, Formalin or 95% alcohol: 45-60 seconds
● Water: 5-7 seconds
● Hematoxylin: 60 seconds
● Lithium carbonate or 0.2 % aqueous ammonia (Bluing): 15-20 seconds
● Eosin: 20-60 seconds
● 95% alcohol: 10 seconds
● 100% alcohol: 10 seconds
● Xylene, Toluene, Limonene derivatives and Clearite: 10 seconds
● Then add mounting media for cover slipping
End of Frozen section > Staining slides
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).