Cite this page: Gulwani H. Choledocholithiasis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/gallbladdercholedocholithiasis.html. Accessed February 18th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Stones in common bile duct
- 40% of common bile duct stones are brown stones, usually associated with recurrent pyogenic cholangitis and older age (J Int Med Res 2009;37:1220)
- Primary: originate in common bile duct
- Secondary: originate in gallbladder
- ERCP (95% sensitive and specific), ultrasound is only 50% sensitive
- 27 year old man with sickle cell disease (Intern Med 2008;47:2169)