Cite this page: Gulwani H Embryology. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/gallbladderembryology.html. Accessed May 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Develops with bile duct and liver during week 4 as ventral bud (hepatic diverticulum) from caudal foregut (Dig Surg 2010;27:87)
- Hepatic diverticulum has two components: pars hepatica and pars cystica
- Parts hepatica gives rise to liver, common hepatic duct and intrahepatic bile ducts
- Pars cystica gives rise to cystic diverticulum, which gives rise to gallbladder and cystic duct
- Hepatic diverticulum elongates to form common bile duct
- Above structures begin as solid cords but at 8 weeks have lumina