Cite this page: Gulwani H Heterotopia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/gallbladderheterotopia.html. Accessed August 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Also called ectopia or choristoma
- Normal tissue in abnormal location
- Usually incidental
- Includes liver parenchymal nodules, usually 2.5 cm or less, suspended to gallbladder by mesenteric stalk (DD: accessory lobe)
- Gastric heterotopia arises as intramural nodules, plaques or polyps, in neck or cystic duct, rarely with peptic ulceration
- Pancreatic heterotopia has acinar tissue, rarely islets, that may cause acute pancreatitis in gallbladder (Ryoikibetsu Shokogun Shirizu 1996;(9):360)