Extrahepatic bile ducts
Papillary carcinoma of extrahepatic bile ducts
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 15 February 2013, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Usually biliary phenotype, but also intestinal
● Often extends into pancreas or liver
● Papillary carcinomas confined to ductal wall have better 10 year survival than adenocarcinomas confined to ductal wall
● Better survival even if nodal metastases
● Microsatellite instability is relatively frequent in papillary neoplasms of biliary tree (Mod Pathol 2002;15:1309)
● Tumors may dedifferentiate
Exophytic and intraluminal proliferation of complex papillary structures with invasive component
End of Extrahepatic bile ducts > Tumors > Papillary carcinoma of extrahepatic bile ducts
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).