Cite this page: Shankar V Meniscal tears. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/jointsmeniscaltears.html. Accessed September 30th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Patients age 40+ years have fewer cells in meniscus and are more prone to degeneration and tears (Am J Sports Med 2007;35:103)
- Most common site is medial meniscus; tears arise as clefts along circumferential collagen fibers that may extend to medial margin and create a tag
- Surgery required for young active patients with tears due to athletics and older individuals with tears due to degeneration
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Fibroblast proliferation, synovial hypertrophy and increased cellularity
- Neovascularization of peripheral zone