Reviewers: Nikhil Sangle, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 4 April 2012, last major update March 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Metanephric blastema: forms glomerulus, proximal convoluted tubules, loops of Henle, distal convoluted tubules and connective tissue of renal interstitium
● Ureteric bud: forms cortical and medullary collecting tubules and medullary collecting ducts
Stages of kidney development:
● Pronephros (based on Wolffian duct, kidneys non-functional)
● Mesonephros (appear at week 4, form nephron-like tubules but degenerate)
● Metanephros (form at week 5, function by week 11)
Fetal kidneys at 25 weeks gestation
Infant kidney with fetal lobulations
● UNSW Embryology-animation of kidney development
End of Kidney non-tumor > Embryology
Ref Updated: 3/23/12
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).