Blood vessel disorders
Sickle cell disease nephropathy
Reviewers: Nikhil Sangle, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 25 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Sickle cell trait or disease causes hematuria, decreased concentrating ability
● May be due to ischemia in hypertonic, hypoxic renal medulla due to plugging of vessels in vasa recta
● Mild proteinuria in 30%
● Patchy papillary necrosis
● Occlusion of glomeruli by sickled cells
● Extensive congestion and sickling in peritubular capillaries
Sickle cell nephropathy
Case report of collapsing glomerulopathy
Electron microscopy images
Sickle red cells inside glomerular capillary loop
End of Kidney non-tumor > Blood vessel disorders > Sickle cell disease nephropathy
Ref Updated: 8/28/12
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).