Tubules and interstitium
Reviewers: Nikhil Sangle, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 11 April 2012, last major update April 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Juxtaglomerular apparatus: close to glomerulus where afferent arteriole enters it; consists of juxtaglomerular cells (modified smooth muscle cells) plus macula densa (region of distal tubule as it returns to vascular pole of parent glomeruli) plus lacis or Goormaghtigh cells (nongranular cells that reside near afferent arteriole, macula densa and glomerulus and resemble mesangial cells); produces renin; cells of macula densa show reverse polarity (with abluminal nuclei and basal cytoplasmic clearing due to Golgi apparatus) to direct the synthesized molecules towards the glomerulus
● Interstitium: contains fibroblast like cells and peritubular capillaries; expands due to edema and inflammation
● Medullary rays: in cortex, contain cortical collecting tubules and loops of Henle of superficial nephrons
● Proximal tubules: long microvilli, numerous mitochondria and extensive intercellular interdigitations assist in reabsorption of sodium, water, proteins, glucose, potassium, phosphate and amino acids; vulnerable to toxins and ischemic damage
● Renal columns of Bertin: cortical tissue extending into spaces between pyramids
Diagrams / Gross images
Vessels supplying tubule
Vessels surrounding glomeruli and tubules
Collecting duct: brush border
Juxtaglomerular apparatus and macula densa
Glomeruli (1A), tubules (1B)
End of Kidney non-tumor > Tubules and interstitium
Ref Updated: 4/6/12
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).