Kidney tumor - adult malignancies
Adult renal cell carcinoma
Reviewers: Sean Williamson, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 29 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Undifferentiated carcinoma with prominent lymphoid stroma
● Rare in kidney
● May be considered a variant of urothelial carcinoma in renal pelvis (Mod Pathol 2006;19:494)
● 70 year old Japanese man
(Mod Pathol 1998;11:1252)
● 75 year old woman (Int J Urol 2007;14:851)
● Undifferentiated round or spindle cell carcinoma will ill-defined borders, arranged in syncytial sheets or small clusters of cells, with abundant inflammatory cells including: T cells, plasma cells, eosinophils, macrophages; indistinguishable microscopically from nasopharyngeal undifferentiated carcinoma (or lymphoepithelioma)
Syncytial arrangement of tumor cells surrounded by lymphocytes
Sheets and nests of high grade tumor cells in a syncytial pattern with prominent lymphocytes
● CK7, CK20 less frequent, EMA, p63, p53, keratin 34βE12 (Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:474)
● CD45/LCA (stains lymphocytes, not tumor cells), vimentin, EBV, HPV, TTF1, CD30, AMACR, often CK20-
(Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:474)
● Lymphoma: no keratin+ tumor cells, lymphocytes are clonal; anaplastic large cell lymphoma is CD30+
● Typical urothelial carcinoma with prominent lymphocytic reaction: lacks syncytial growth pattern
● Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis - no keratin+ tumor cells
End of Kidney tumor - adult malignancies > Adult renal cell carcinoma > Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).