Adult malignancies - Miscellaneous
Frozen sections / intraoperative consultations
Reviewers: Sean Williamson, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 13 July 2012, last major update July 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Assessment of surgical margins often performed in partial nephrectomy cases (Urology 2006;67:923, Scand J Urol Nephrol 2005;39:222)
● However, clinical significance may be limited, as only rare patients harbor residual disease in a follow-up radical nephrectomy specimen or repeated partial resection of margin
● Recurrence due to positive margin is uncommon (Urology 2011;77:1400, J Urol 2005;173:385)
● Solid renal mass in unusual setting, synchronous renal and extrarenal masses, cystic renal lesions, multiple renal masses, solid mass in diffusely cystic kidney (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005;129:1585)
● However, no consensus exists (J Urol 2008;179:461)
● Cystic and spindle cell tumors are often misdiagnosed
● Clear cell renal cell carcinoma can be confused with inflammatory lesions, particularly those that contain foamy histiocytes
Renal cystic tumors
Micro images (frozen sections)
Clear cell renal cell carcinoma, xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis and malakoplakia
Urothelial, collecting duct and papillary carcinomas
Oncocytoma versus chromophobe carcinoma
Renal cystic tumors
End of Kidney tumor > Adult malignancies - Miscellaneous > Frozen sections / intraoperative consultations
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).