Kidney tumor - cysts, children, adult benign
Benign (usually) adult tumors
Reviewers: Mandolin Ziadie, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 29 March 2012, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare diffuse renal involvement by numerous oncocytic lesions without necrosis
● Often associated with at least 1 dominant nodule (2-10 cm), usually an oncocytoma, chromophobe carcinoma or hybrid; recent study suggests neoplasms are distinct from oncocytoma or chromophobe carcinoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2010;34:620)
● 43% bilateral; may be hemorrhagic
● Associated with chronic kidney disease (J Urol 2011;185:795)
● The co-existence of oncocytosis and chromophobe renal carcinoma suggests that these two lesions are related and part of a spectrum of oncocytic disease
● 45 year old woman with 11 tumors, all with normal appearing chromosomes (Mod Pathol 2008;21:498)
● 53 year old with > 100 tumors causing end stage renal disease (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2001;125:683)
● Well circumscribed, unencapsulated and solid lesion with a homogenous mahogany or yellow-brown cut surface
Bilateral renal oncocytosis
Kidney contained nine discrete tumors
● Multiple oncocytic nodules, often hybrid nodules with chromophobe carcinoma
● An interstitial pattern (oncocytes infiltrate between benign glomeruli and tubules), diffuse oncocytic change in non-neoplastic tubules and benign oncocytic cortical cysts may also be present
● Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23:1094
End of Kidney tumor - cysts, children, adult benign > Benign (usually) adult tumors > Oncocytosis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).