Kidney tumor - cysts, children, adult benign
Renal cell carcinoma in children
Reviewers: Mandolin Ziadie, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 13 January 2012, last major update January 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● 4% of renal tumors in children (Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009;52:237)
● 1/3 associated with either tuberous sclerosis, neuroblastoma, teratoma with chemotherapy, Saethre-Chotzen syndrome, chronic renal failure or related diseases in family members (Cancer 2006;107:2906)
● 22% papillary, 20-46% translocation-associated (Am J Clin Pathol 2006;126:349, Histopathology 2008;53:533), 15% clear cell, 8% Wilms’ associated, 5% collecting duct, 5% chromophobe and 24% unclassified (Am J Surg Pathol 2004;28:1117)
● 3 year old girl (Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2009;20:124)
● Excision (Pediatr Surg Int 2007;23:327)
● Retroperitoneal lymph node dissection recommended (Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008;51:475)
● Pediatric papillary RCC shares histologic, immunohistochemical and molecular features with adult papillary RCC
● Xp11.2 translocation RCC shows cells with abundant clear or granular eosinophilic cytoplasm arranged in papilla or nests
● t(6;11) RCC is composed of epithelioid cells with abundant cytoplasm, well-defined borders and small round nuclei arranged in nests / tubules
● Xp11.2 translocation RCC: TFE3 (nuclear)
● t(6;11) RCC: TFEB (nuclear)
● Xp11.22 and t(6;11) RCC: cytokeratin, CAM5.2 and EMA
● Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23:795
End of Kidney tumor - cysts, children, adult benign > Childhood neoplasms > Renal cell carcinoma in children
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).