Cite this page: Pernick, N. Pyriform sinus squamous cell carcinoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/larynxpyriformsinus.html. Accessed July 22nd, 2018.
Definition / general
- Close to, although not part of larynx; these tumors frequently invade the supraglottic larynx under an intact mucous membrane
- Usually destroys posterior edge of thyroid cartilage
- Usually associated with alcoholism
- 2/3 die of disease or associated medical disorders
- Total laryngectomy with preoperative chemotherapy or postoperative radiation therapy