Cite this page: Pernick, N. Subglottic squamous cell carcinoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/larynxsubglottic.html. Accessed July 22nd, 2018.
Definition / general
- Also called infraglottic; by definition arise from region inferior to vocal cords to lower border of cricoid cartilage
- Less than 5% of all cases; very rare to arise at this site; usually an extension of glottic tumor
- May be defined to include glottic tumors with subglottic extension of 1 cm or more
- Often spreads laterally to cricoid cartilage; often destroys interthyrocricoid membrane with invasion of prelaryngeal wall and thyroid gland
- Cervical nodal metastases in 15%, paratracheal nodal metastases in 50%
- Excision with radical lymph node dissection