Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor
Infectious (non-viral) disorders
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 May 2012, last major update May 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rickettsia that causes Q fever, affecting respiratory tract and liver
● Granulomas have central vacuole surrounded by hyaline ring (“doughnut" granulomas, may not be present in every section)
● Portal and lobular lymphohistiocytic infiltrate, hepatocellular necrosis, steatosis
Differential diagnosis (central vacuole)
● CMV, staphylococcus, allopurinol toxicity, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, toxoplasmosis
● Gastroenterology 1982;83:474
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Infectious (non-viral) disorders > Coxiella burnetii
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).