Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 23 April 2012, last major update April 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare, < 100 cases reported
● Intrahepatic ileal and duodenal duplications and ciliated foregut cysts have been described
● 4 cm or smaller, have smooth muscle bundles in cyst wall
● Slightly more common in men, and in medial segment of left hepatic lobe
● Resemble bronchiolar epithelium
● Ciliated foregut cyst with squamous cell carcinoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1999;123:1115)
● Solitary, rarely multilocular, 1-4 cm
● Ciliated pseudostratified columnar epithelium with goblet cells, subepithelial connective tissue, 1-3 smooth muscle layers, outer fibrous capsule
Ciliated foregut cyst
Ciliated foregut cyst with squamous metaplasia, dysplasia and carcinoma
● Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23:671, Hum Pathol 2000;31:241
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Developmental anomalies/cysts > Foregut cyst
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).