Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor
Infectious (non-viral) disorders
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 May 2012, last major update May 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● 33 year old Italian woman with AIDS (Mod Pathol 2002;15:577)
● Large necrotic lesions with rings of macrophages, fibrosis and occasional lymphocytes and granulocytes
● 2 micron oval, pink, slightly refractile bodies present in necrotic areas and surrounding cells
● Focally associated with granulomatous reactions, occasionally found in hepatic sinusoidal cells
Fibrosis surrounding necrotic areas
Red stained spores within macrophage-like cells
● Kinyoun acid-fast, Giemsa, modified Trichrome
Electron microscopy images (adrenal gland)
Spore containing polar tube arranged in single row with six coils
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Infectious (non-viral) disorders > Microsporidia
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).