Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor
Multiple hilar cysts
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 23 April 2012, last major update April 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Arise from peribiliary glands surrounding extrahepatic and large intrahepatic bile ducts in hilum (J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1997;12:137)
● Cysts are incidental finding in 20% of autopsies
● May compress adjacent bile duct; also associated with cirrhosis and portal vein thrombosis
● Up to 2 cm, unilocular with clear serous fluid, if multiple may make liver appear spongy
● Lined by columnar to cuboidal epithelium with mild chronic inflammatory infiltrate, fibrosis, fibrous obliteration of small veins; occasional hyperplasia
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Developmental anomalies/cysts > Multiple hilar cysts
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).