Cite this page: Arora K. Multiple hilar cysts. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/livermultiplehilarcyst.html. Accessed February 18th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Arise from peribiliary glands surrounding extrahepatic and large intrahepatic bile ducts in hilum (J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1997;12:137)
- Cysts are incidental finding in 20% of autopsies
- May compress adjacent bile duct; also associated with cirrhosis and portal vein thrombosis
- Up to 2 cm, unilocular with clear serous fluid, if multiple may make liver appear spongy
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Lined by columnar to cuboidal epithelium with mild chronic inflammatory infiltrate, fibrosis, fibrous obliteration of small veins; occasional hyperplasia