Cite this page: Arora, K. Orientia tsutsugamushi. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/liverorientia.html. Accessed November 25th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Formerly called Rickettsia tsutsugamushi
- Rickettsiael agent of scrub typhus, a chigger borne zoonosis highly prevalent and life threatening in tropical Asia and islands of western Pacific Ocean
- Present within liver and spleen macrophages and cardiac muscle cells
- Also endothelial cells of heart, lung, brain, kidney, pancreas, skin
- Transmitted to humans via larval mite (chigger) during feeding