Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - Tumor
Reviewers: Shilpa Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 19 May 2014, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Usually discovered incidentally or associated with anemia
● Rarely presents as liver mass
● Only very few liver nodules of EMH have been described in the literature (Diagn Cytopathol 1997;16:51)
● 52 year old woman with 2.5 cm, 5 cm and 7 cm liver masses and normal serum AFP (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:631)
● Radiation or hydroxyurea if symptomatic
● Erythroid precursors in sinusoids (resemble lymphocytes), myeloid precursors in portal tracts (resemble mixed portal infiltrate or eosinophils in neonates)
● Also megakaryocytes within sinuses
H&E and CD68
Contributed by Dr. Nikhil Sangle, University of Utah Health Sciences Center and ARUP Laboratories
Diff-Quick (2), Pap stain
● Lymphoproliferative disorder
● Prominent megakaryocytic component may suggest atypical or malignant diagnosis
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts-nontumor > Benign tumors > Extramedullary hematopoiesis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).