Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - tumor
Kaposiís sarcoma (KS)
Reviewers: Deepali Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 9 January 2013, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
See also Soft Tissue Tumors chapter
● Malignant vascular neoplasm with blunt endothelial cells, erythrocyte extravasation, hemosiderin deposition, usually in HIV+ patients; incidental finding at autopsy in 15% with AIDS (WHO)
● Present in liver in 12-25% of fatal cases of KS elsewhere in body
● Hemorrhagic multifocal spongy nodules, 5-7 cm
Multiple dark brown lesions in large portal areas
● Spindle cells with hyaline globules and vasoformative channels with extravasated red blood cells
● Lesions centered on portal tracts
Spindle cells and slit-like vascular spaces
● CD31, CD34
● Bacillary peliosis hepatis
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - tumor > Other malignancies > Kaposiís sarcoma (KS)
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).