Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - tumor
Reviewers: Deepali Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 9 January 2013, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Malignant tumor containing intimate mixture of carcinomatous (either hepatocellular carcinoma or cholangiocellular carcinoma) and sarcomatous elements; sarcomatous component may be chondrosarcomatous, fibrosarcoma, leiomyosarcomatous, osteosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, undifferentiated (WHO)
● Also called "malignant mixed tumor"
● Predominantly older men
● Risk factors similar to HCC, including cirrhosis, hepatitis B infection
● Very poor prognosis due to sarcomatous component (Am J Surg Pathol 2007;31:817)
● 84 year old man whose tumor had components of adenocarcinoma and chondrosarcoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:888)
Gray-white tumor with necrosis
Tubular structures and chondrosarcoma
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - tumor > Other malignancies > Carcinosarcoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).