Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Atelectasis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumoratalectasis.html. Accessed July 20th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Incomplete expansion of lung or collapse of previously inflated lung, due to obstruction / resorption, compression or contraction
- Obstruction: resorption of oxygen causes collapse and mediastinal shifts towards affected lung; due to mucus plugs, asthma, chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, postoperative changes, foreign bodies, but not usually due to tumors, which cause only subtotal obstruction
- Compression: due to fluid (congestive heart failure), air (pneumothorax), tumor and blood; causes mediastinal shifts away from affected lung
- Contraction: due to fibrosis (restrictive lung disease)
- Patchy: due to loss of surfactant in acute respiratory distress syndrome