Table of ContentsDefinition / General
Cite this page: Biopsy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorbiopsy.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- For nonneoplastic lesions, clinical correlation is essential
- Evaluating biopsies: alveolar space, alveolar septal membrane, conducting airways, pulmonary arteries and other vessels and lymphatics
- Tips of lingula and right middle lobe typically show more fibrosis than elsewhere
- Frozen section is recommended for open biopsies so (a) tissue arrives fresh, not in preservative, and (b) pathologist can tell surgeon if specimen is adequate and representative
- Elastic and trichrome stains are often helpful for nonneoplastic tissue