Other interstitial pneumonitis / fibrosis
Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 September 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare, usually Japanese, other Asians, rarely others
● Patients typically have history of sinusitis
● Associated with HLA BW54, Haemophilus influenza or Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection
● Chronic, progressive obstructive and suppurative airway disease
● Without treatment, progression to bronchiectasis and respiratory failure, worse course with Pseudomonas infection
● Antibiotics, generally good response to long term macrolide treatment
● Patients also benefit from antiinflammatory effect of medication
● Foamy macrophages in pulmonary interstitium, chronic inflammation in terminal bronchioles
End of Lung-nontumor > Other interstitial pneumonitis / fibrosis > Diffuse panbronchiolitis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).