Cite this page: Embryology. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorembryology.html. Accessed July 20th, 2017.
Definition / general
- The lungs develop from the ventral wall of the foregut
- The midline trachea develops two lateral outpouchings, the right and left lung buds
- The lung buds extend into primitive thoracic mesenchyme that becomes bronchial cartilage and other connective tissue
- The right lung bud develops three branches that become mainstem bronchi, the left lung bud develops two branches that become mainstem bronchi
- The phases of lung development are embryonic (3 1/2 to 6 weeks), pseudoglandular (6 to 16 weeks), canalicular (16 to 28 weeks), saccular (28 to 36 weeks) and alveolar (36 weeks to term)
Microscopic (histologic) images