Other interstitial pneumonitis / fibrosis
Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 25 September 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Final common pathway of various processes causing chronic interstitial fibrosis
● Progressive shortness of breath, severe interstitial fibrosis, diffuse cystic changes with blebs and subsequent pneumothorax and shrunken lungs (restrictive lung disease) with elevation of diaphragm
● Stiff, spongy and fibrotic lungs with cystic changes
● Dense interstitial and peribronchial fibrosis and smooth muscle
● Reduced alveolar capillaries
● Marked medial hyperplasia of pulmonary arteries and arterioles
● Cystically dilated alveoli
● May have mucinous metaplasia of lining epithelium with atypia
End of Lung-nontumor > Other interstitial pneumonitis / fibrosis > Honeycomb lung
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).