Cystic disease/congenital anomalies
Mesenchymal cystic hamartoma
Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 25 August 2011, last major update August 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Bilateral multifocal cysts lined by normal or metaplastic respiratory epithelium resting on a cambium layer of mesenchymal cells
● Lesion is initially solid, but becomes cystic when approximately 1 cm in diameter
● Slow growing
● Associated with pneumothorax (Can Respir J 2003;10:280)
● Generally follows an indolent course
● In females, metastatic low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma must be excluded
Tumor of chest wall
End of Lung-nontumor > Cystic disease/congenital anomalies > Mesenchymal cystic hamartoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).