Cite this page: Obliterative bronchiolitis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorobliterativebronch.html. Accessed March 26th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Associated with bone marrow, heart and lung transplants, rheumatoid arthritis, penicillamine or gold therapy and post viral infection, especially adenovirus
- Associated with chronic rejection in lung transplant patients, an irreversible condition with poor prognosis
- May be patchy, fibrosis in submucosa of bronchioles leading to partial or complete occlusion of small airways
- Inflammatory cell infiltrates may or may not be present
- Organizing pneumonia may be present