Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Jain D. Cytology. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungtumorcytology.html. Accessed April 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Sputum or bronchial brushings are 80 - 90% sensitive for lung carcinoma if examine 5+ sputum samples
- Fine needle aspirate is superior to bronchoalveolar lavage for diagnosis of pathologic pathology (Mod Pathol 2002;15:1259)
- False positives: due to misidentification of macrophages or pneumocytes - includes bronchiectasis, fungal infections, infarct, lipoid pneumonia, postradiation changes, viral pneumonia
- False negatives: often due to sampling (Diagn Cytopathol 2012;40:556); pleural fluid cytology is often falsely negative for small cell carcinoma
- Also useful for mutation analysis (Acta Cytol 2012;56:661)