Cite this page: Kaposi sarcoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungtumorkaposi.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Usually associated with AIDS, HHV8 infection; also immunocompromise, organ transplant
- Diffuse reticulonodular pulmonary infiltrates, solitary lung nodules, or pleural effusions
- Tumor follows lymphatic channels
- Detection of HHV8 DNA is highly specific and sensitive for diagnosis of pulmonary Kaposi sarcoma
- 42 year old HIV+ man with chronic coughing and congestion, lung biopsy (Case of the Week #336)
- Discrete dark red hemorrhagic nodules with growth along septa and infiltration of small airways, pulmonary arteries, veins