Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
Reviewer: Deepali Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 January 2013, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Aggressive carcinoma composed of large malignant cells which display neuroendocrine characteristics; characterized by high mitotic activity and necrotic change (WHO)
● Rosai: resembles non-small cell carcinoma, but on closer inspection has a hint of neuroendocrine architecture confirmed by special stains
● More likely to develop recurrent lung cancer and have shorter actuarial survival than patients with other histologic types of NSCLC, even in those with stage I disease (Cancer Control 2006;13:270)
● Larger tumor cells than atypical carcinoid, high nuclear grade, increased mitotic activity (11+ per 10 HPF) and necrosis (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2010;134:1628)
● Poorly developed neuroendocrine architecture with some pallisading or rosette-like structures present
● Oncocytic neuroendocrine tumor: low grade or high grade; oncocytic features, but similar clinically to nononcocytic tumors (Hum Pathol 2011;42:578)
Large cell neuroendocrine versus small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
CD117, HER2, EGFR
Metastases from lung primaries
● Neuroendocrine markers, CD117 (60%), TTF1 (50%)
● Phosphohistone H3 recommended for counting mitotic figures (Am J Clin Pathol 2011;136:252)
● GLUT1 (74%, Mod Pathol 2009;22:633)
● Enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2): diffusely and strongly positive in all small-cell carcinomas and large-cell neuroendocrine carcinomas (Hum Pathol 2011;42:867)
End of Lung tumor > Other carcinoma > Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).