Cite this page: Waldenström macroglobulinemia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungtumorwaldenstrom.html. Accessed October 20th, 2017.
Definition / general
- B-cell neoplasm (usually lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma) plus serum IgM monoclonal paraprotein
- Usually elderly patients with indolent clinical course
- Median survival 5 years
- Involves bone marrow (100%), liver, spleen, lymph nodes (15 - 20%); lung is an unusual site (Am J Surg Pathol 2003;27:1104)
- Hyperviscosity syndrome in 15%
- Serum protein electrophoresis to detect monoclonal paraprotein