Lymph nodes - not lymphoma
Reviewer: William D. DePond, M.D.(see Reviewers page)
Revised: 4 July 2013, last major update June 2006
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Human herpesvirus 8 / Kaposiís sarcoma associated herpesvirus
- High prevalence in East Africa
- Associated with Kaposiís sarcoma (Mod Pathol 2004;17:456); in endemic regions of Africa, association is independent of HIV status (Hum Pathol 2006;37:23)
- Also associated with primary effusion lymphoma, plasmablastic lymphoma, some cases of multicentric Castlemanís disease
- Note: most lymphomas are HHV8-, even in HHV8+ patients
- Not associated with Kikuchiís disease (Hum Pathol 2003;34:130), despite earlier study to the contrary (Hum Pathol 1998;29:1091)
HHV8 immunostain (site unknown)
End of Lymph nodes - not lymphoma > Infectious/parasitic disorders > HHV8/KHSV
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other