Cite this page: Osteosclerotic myeloma (POEMS syndrome). PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lymphomaPOEMS.html. Accessed June 26th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Plasma cell myeloma characterized by osteosclerotic changes in the bony trabeculae with associated paratrabecular fibrosis
- Often a component of POEMS syndrome (polyneuropathy, organomegaly, endocrinopathy, monoclonal gammopathy and skin changes)
- Usually less than 5% plasma cells
- Relation to typical plasma cell myeloma is unknown
- Associated with lymph node changes resembling the plasma cell variant of Castleman disease