Cite this page: Chemotherapeutic atypia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lymphomachemo.html. Accessed March 29th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Chemotherapeutic agents, particularly alkylating agents, can induce bizarre epithelial atypia
- Observed in lower respiratory tract and sinonasal tract
- Includes patients treated for leukemia and myeloma
- Striking nuclear enlargement, hyperchromasia and pleomorphism
- Changes may be full thickness, and be associated with squamous metaplasia
- Dysplastic appearance is common, particularly in frozen sections (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:652)