Cite this page: Horowitz R. Performance evaluation. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/managementlabperformanceeval.html. Accessed March 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- An annual performance evaluation or appraisal and/or competency assessment is a standard procedure which evaluates:
- An employee's achievements or deficiencies
- Determines whether the job expectations have been met
- How performance can be rewarded or improved
- The job description, with its performance standards and specific competencies, is the basis of the evaluation
- The immediate supervisor must gather performance data and conduct the evaluation based on the job description
- Specific examples of an employee’s meeting, exceeding, or failing to meet expectations should be documented
- Success should be recognized with compensation and/or promotion
- When there are deficiencies, they should be analyzed:
- Were performance standards known?
- Is it a training issue?
- Is it a motivation issue?
- Is it a competency issue?
- Obstacles to successful performance?
- Is it just a bad fit between person and job?
- The evaluation should include a plan for improvement when necessary
- Documentation of the evaluation must be thorough and acknowledged, in writing, by the employee